The text of this website is composed in the Lora and Montserrat typefaces. While it was previously typeset in the superb Alegreya super family, I wanted to experiment with fluid typesetting using variable fonts.
I didn’t choose Lora and Montserrat arbitratily. When I set out to refresh the type on Woah Pixels I specifically sought out open source variable fonts that were made by women. And let me tell you, there are not a lot to choose from. After a lot of digging and research I found out that Lora was created by a woman, specifically the typographer Olga Karpushina, and had been converted into a variable font. I chose it to be my primary text face.
I wanted to pair Lora with a sans-serif face to have some typographic contrast. Unfortunately there were no sans-serif typefaces that fit my criteria. But I am not one to give up so easily. I really liked the typeface Montserrat by Julieta Ulanovsky, plus it went well with Lora. So, to get what I wanted I actually went into the source files of Montserrat myself and engineered it into a variable font.